Peter Decaprio: Explain how to help someone who is depressed during a business cycle.
Here is how to help someone who is depressed during a business cycle:
- When dealing with someone who is depressed during a business cycle, it’s important to remember that people are not always rational says Peter Decaprio. Some common symptoms of depression include feeling anxious or worthless, feeling hopeless about the future, sleeping more or less than usual, eating more or less than usual, and having little energy. Because these symptoms are so wide-ranging, all of them should be considered when trying to help an individual struggling with depression. It’s crucial for friends and family members of the depressed individual to try to connect with him/her on personal level by listening carefully before responding meaningfully. A person struggling with depression may be very hard on him/herself which makes extra care needed in advice-giving because good intentions can be misinterpreted as being condescending.
- The most important thing to remember is that the depressed individual will need time to get better, and there are no easy answers or instant fixes. During this time of recovery it’s especially helpful for friends and family members of the depressed person to be patient but also mindful while continuing to show support whenever they can. Being aware of what might trigger feelings of depression in your friend/family member is a key. If work is a really stressful place for him/her, maybe asking if you can help out with some tasks can help take some pressure off during these difficult times. If he/she normally gets together with the same group of friends on weekends, consider inviting them all over at your house one weekend so he/she doesn’t have to think about it.
Explain how a manager can keep a team motivated during a business cycle.
- A manager needs to inspire and motivate his/her employees in order to keep them engaged. One key thing is to care about people as individuals, not just as the employees of the company. The best managers remember details about their employees’ lives outside of work as well as inside, and then they try to tailor rewards or goals that fit with each person’s interests or motivations says Peter Decaprio. In order to maintain motivation over time, however, this kind of tailored attention has to be continuous because people will quickly grow tired if their personal interests are being neglected even for just a few days. It’s also important to avoid micromanaging an employee’s work as this can make employees feel as if they don’t have an opportunity to develop their skills or take on responsibility. A manager that’s open-minded and flexible will earn the respect and trust of his/her employees. Which should, in turn, increase motivation and accountability.
If someone asks you how your weekend was and you’re not actually doing anything, do you:
- a) Say “I’m sorry I’ve been so busy!”
- b) Answer truthfully about how uneventful your weekend was?
- c) Say “It was great! Thanks for asking!” even though it wasn’t very fun.
This question is asking about lying by omission which means choosing not to disclose an important fact about a situation. That the person would need to know in order to have a complete picture says Peter Decaprio.
The best answer would be B. This is because it’s important to not hide the truth from someone who might be affected by that truth. Even if the truth isn’t good news. Failing to disclose that you weren’t doing anything can mislead or confuse someone into thinking something happened when it didn’t. The other options are either an outright lie or being disingenuous about how fun your weekend was. Which also damage could trust between you and the person asking about your weekend.
Explain why “good fences make good neighbors” with respect to social media etiquette.
- Good fences may indeed make good neighbors. But they’re not always easy or practical for people who live close together like neighbors do.
- When someone is experiencing depression during a business cycle, it’s important to create an environment that supports this person. Encourage the depressed individual to take breaks and seek help. Create a schedule for the individual in which they can work lower-priority items. When low motivation levels prevent them from working on higher priority items. Be sure to give frequent feedback and recognition to boosts morale and support productivity.
- Another way to help someone who is suffering from depression. During a business cycle would be to encourage the individual with their workload. Try delegating responsibility so that the individual realizes you have faith in his or her abilities. Assign work according to what he or she is interested in specifically focusing on. Which will provide intrinsic motivation if the task is something they enjoy.
Good fences might make good neighbors but they’re not always easy or practical. For people who are very close to each other says Peter Decaprio. When someone is feeling depressed during a business cycle. It’s important to encourage the individual and give frequent feedback to boost morale. Delegating responsibility is an alternative way of helping someone feels less stressed about their workload.
If you want your child to become more responsible, consider giving him increased responsibility in tasks that he performs well. Explain why this is an effective parenting strategy.