Peter DeCaprio shares 20 LinkedIn Tips for Physicians
LinkedIn is one of many social media sites that can help physicians find new patients or expand their referral networks says Peter DeCaprio. It is also a place where doctors can share information with peers in their specialty for both education and collaboration. We asked Dr. Jason Swett, pediatrician extraordinaire (you can read his blog here ) and Dr. Kevin Pho, who started his own physician-centric blog ( KevinMD ) and writes about health care policy on Forbes, to share their top 10 tips for using LinkedIn to help other physicians grow their practices.
Let’s dive right in! Here are the highlights:
1) Think like an entrepreneur and use LinkedIn to promote your practice
2) Establish yourself as an expert in your field by joining groups and actively participating
3) Connect with other doctors, like-minded physicians and industry professionals on LinkedIn
4) Share valuable information and post clinical pearls and medical news to enhance your personal brand
5) Maintain a complete profile; it’s the first thing people see when they look at your account says Peter DeCaprio. Don’t forget about the basics: photos, contact details, etc.
6) Be proactive. Interact with peers and colleagues via messages, comments and status updates
7) Identify problems within your specialty; then develop solutions or content that can help other health care providers solve those problems
8) Encourage engagement with your posts by asking questions and providing answers
9) When posting content, use an interesting photo or graphic to capture the reader’s attention
10) Keep it professional; don’t post personal information like pictures of yourself drinking. Especially since you never know who will see them (hint: patients!).
11) Follow these tips and you’ll be on your way to using LinkedIn as a powerful marketing and networking tool for physicians!
Now that we know some of the basics, let’s take a look at some more specific tips for physicians.
1) Create an interesting headline
One of the first things people see when they view your profile is your headline. Make sure it stands out and catches people’s attention says Peter DeCaprio. You only have 120 characters to work with, so make them count!
2) Use keywords in your profile
When potential patients or colleagues are searching for doctors on LinkedIn, they may use keywords related to their specialty or the services you provide. Make sure you include those keywords in your profile so you’re more likely to show up in search results.
3) Enhance your ‘Experience’ section
This is where you can list the different types of jobs you’ve had, including volunteer or internship opportunities. You can also mention any medical societies you belong to and write a short summary about each position. The more interesting your experience, the better!
4) Use bullet points to highlight your qualifications
Use just a few words for each service you offer; then follow it up with a bulleted list that highlights what sets you apart from other physicians in the same specialty. This will help potential patients understand what makes you unique and encourage them to reach out.
5) Customize your profile URL
LinkedIn lets users create their own URLs based on their name, so take advantage of that! It’s a great way to make your profile easier to find and remember.
6) Join groups related to your specialty
Groups are a great way to connect with other physicians who share your interests. You can learn from them, share information and collaborate on projects.
7) Share your blog posts on LinkedIn
If you have a blog, don’t forget to share it on LinkedIn! Not only will you reach a new audience, but you’ll also be building your reputation as an expert in your field.
8) Use Slide Share to present your ideas visually
Slide Share is a platform for sharing presentations and documents. You can use it to upload from your presentations or create infographics about your work. This is a great way to engage readers and show them what you’re capable of.
9) Connect with other professionals on LinkedIn
LinkedIn isn’t just for physicians; it’s also a great place to connect with other professionals in your industry. You can exchange ideas, collaborate on projects and find new opportunities.
10) Stay up-to-date with LinkedIn Pulse
LinkedIn Pulse is a news aggregator that allows users to follow their favorite topics and sources. It’s a great way to stay informed about the latest news and trends in your field.
LinkedIn is a great tool for physicians to use for networking and marketing says Peter DeCaprio. By following these tips, you can create an effective profile that will help you connect with potential patients and colleagues. Remember to be professional and stay up-to-date with the latest news and trends in your field!